While I have to answer a lots of questions about how to build a business, lately I have other concerns, one of them is how to help young men become competitive in a society that seems to pay a lot more attention to women / the girl child.
After incubating a good number of young entrepreneurs mostly men at nailab, I learned that men who are successful in business have accomplished great success in their day to day living as well, they know what matters most and when it does, after a long protracted discussion with friends on social media @samgichuru and facebook they requested me to write it and I posted it on facebook. 2 hours later it had been shared over 100 times, so here it is for future reference.
I have used this as a blue print since I was in my early 20′s and I keep learning and changing them as I go along… but read and decide if this is the kind of man you want to be or not.
1. You are not a man because a woman said you are a real man. You are a man – period. You don’t need validation from women to affirm your manhood.
2. Make your own fortune: Bring home the bacon or pig. Men don’t settle for handouts, wealthy dads dont count, If you inherit a fortune, then show you are a real man and multiply it 10 times.
3. Pay the bills: With fellow men, contribute your % of the bill, with women, pay the entire bill, which means you take her to the places you can afford… or start calling Maina Kageni early.
4. Make decisions: Ask for advice, consult, but make sure the final decision is yours, good or bad. Nothing is as irritating as an indecisive man even to other men #watermelon
5. Your word, your bond: A man is known for the choices he makes (decisions) and the words he speaks. Say it and mean it, and am not saying be right… When you make a promise, keep it! Men respect men who keep their word, women love them.
6. Follow and Lead: Find someone you can follow, and find someone you can lead. We all follow someone and lead others. You become a better leader when you teach the lessons you learn from following others.
7. Stop idealizing women: Who lied to us that women are perfect?. They are not angels, and the minute you put a halo around her head, you completely fail to notice her flaws. You my friend will call Maina Kageni
8. Being in touch with your feminine side #fail: Ok, every time I meet Christian men coming from Church and they have to say hi, they have a soprano voice, “Hi… It’s so nice to see you!”. Can we stop the nonsense? There is nothing Christian about talking with a high pitch voice. .. Ok, I \_ down.
9. Be Clean! – Scrub twice, rinse, use ka deodorant kidogo. PS: dont smell like a flower, that will send the wrong message
10. Find a spiritual anchor: A man who knows God will always have a very good GPS to find his way back to himself. Finding God does not mean you won’t fail, just means you will get up faster and smarter.
Some or the items here might vary for people from different cultures, but most are common for all, if you are a dude and you agree with this collection then I say share this and add your own guiding rules in the process..